I’ve loved playing with words ever since I was a kid.
I started with short stories before my teens, quickly moved into writing plays (hurrah for free workshops) and then theatre journalism as I entered my twenties, eventually writing and occasionally making short fiction films on graduation. And then, you know .. life happened.
After a long break I learned to write for a whole new audience through blogging and copy-writing, practising for free via quirky dating websites, guest blogging and even The Independent online.
In 2018 I was selected by Hay House for their inaugural Diverse Wisdom initiative, and received mentoring from best-selling wellbeing author Dr David Hamilton.
I’m now Head of Positive Psychology for The Museum of Happiness, a not-for-profit which shares the art and science of sustainable happiness in playful and reflective ways.
I write newsletters for them twice a month, and guest blogged their HAPPY WORLD model during 2019.
My previous writing and production history includes;
- Channel 4/Tango’s 2001 Unleash the Talent Inside competition with short film Teabreak (co-writer/producer/director)
- BBC’s Double Exposure scriptwriting competition (3rd/150+) 1994
- ScreenEast’s Digital Shorts 2004 competition (reaching and attending their week-long talent camp)
- BBC’s 2001 Talent ‘Drama Writer’ Competition
- The Guardian’s Student Critic placements at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (1995, 1997)
- The Lloyds Bank Channel Four’s 1995/6 Film Challenge
- BBC Wales’ 1996 Shot in a Shoebox series with short film Brilliant Mistake (writer/director/editor)
- The Questor’s Theatre 1993 International Student Playwriting Competition
Won places on and attended:
- ScreenEast’s Digital Shorts week-long talent camp
- Scriptcity’s The Reading Room script-reading workshop
- The advanced Lancashire Film and Video Summer School (with Peter Wollen)
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival reviewer for The Scotsman
- Winner of the Sunday Times Harold Hobson Student Drama Critic Award at the National Student Drama Festival
- Freelance arts journalist for What’s On, The Sticks and What If?
- Cartoonist and writer for Charlotte’s Mag/The Zine
- Runner-up in the BFI’s 1988 One Day in the Life of Television competition, with inclusion in subsequent anthology and 5-year study project
- Hair, make-up and lighting for the Poet Dogs’ Betting Shop Murder music video
- Filmed, edited and produced promo video for the Watford Schools Trust
- Video youth worker for Hertsmere Borough Council’s summer holiday activity Pop Icons
- Video youth worker and editor for EHDC’s youth project Buntingford
- Director of video content for Hertfordshire Youth Service theatre production Smashed
- Production Assistant on Outlaw Productions’ Henry V
- Assistant Producer on Raindance-screened RLFF Turner Classic Movies Short Film Award finalist 16mm short Hero
- Writer/director/producer/editor of Firecracker Productions’ festival-screened short A Good Bet
- Assistant Director of Spindly Productions’ zombie short End Times
- Screenwriter/assistant Director of Shadows of Reality short Tainted
- Writer/director of pilot video for Clwyd County Council’s Social Services Dept, Big Step
Work produced by others:
- Short play It All Depends On You staged by The Palace Theatre, Watford and by a local amateur company
- Guest lecturer at Northumberland College and writer of student-produced short video The Bystander