I’ve loved playing with words ever since I was a kid.
I started with short stories before my teens, quickly moved into writing plays (hurrah for free workshops) and then theatre journalism as I entered my twenties, eventually writing and occasionally making short fiction films on graduation. And then, you know .. life happened.
I’m now Head of Positive Psychology for The Museum of Happiness, a not-for-profit which shares the art and science of sustainable happiness in playful and reflective ways.
I write newsletters for them twice a month, and guest blogged their HAPPY WORLD model during 2019.
My previous writing and production history includes;
- Channel 4/Tango’s 2001 Unleash the Talent Inside competition with short film Teabreak (co-writer/producer/director)
- BBC’s Double Exposure scriptwriting competition (3rd/150+) 1994
- ScreenEast’s Digital Shorts 2004 competition (reaching and attending their week-long talent camp)
- BBC’s 2001 Talent ‘Drama Writer’ Competition
- The Guardian’s Student Critic placements at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (1995, 1997)
- The Lloyds Bank Channel Four’s 1995/6 Film Challenge
- BBC Wales’ 1996 Shot in a Shoebox series with short film Brilliant Mistake (writer/director/editor)
- The Questor’s Theatre 1993 International Student Playwriting Competition
Won places on and attended:
- ScreenEast’s Digital Shorts week-long talent camp
- Scriptcity’s The Reading Room script-reading workshop
- The advanced Lancashire Film and Video Summer School (with Peter Wollen)
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival reviewer for The Scotsman
- Winner of the Sunday Times Harold Hobson Student Drama Critic Award at the National Student Drama Festival
- Freelance arts journalist for What’s On, The Sticks and What If?
- Cartoonist and writer for Charlotte’s Mag/The Zine
- Runner-up in the BFI’s 1988 One Day in the Life of Television competition, with inclusion in subsequent anthology and 5-year study project
- Hair, make-up and lighting for the Poet Dogs’ Betting Shop Murder music video
- Filmed, edited and produced promo video for the Watford Schools Trust
- Video youth worker for Hertsmere Borough Council’s summer holiday activity Pop Icons
- Video youth worker and editor for EHDC’s youth project Buntingford
- Director of video content for Hertfordshire Youth Service theatre production Smashed
- Production Assistant on Outlaw Productions’ Henry V
- Assistant Producer on Raindance-screened RLFF Turner Classic Movies Short Film Award finalist 16mm short Hero
- Writer/director/producer/editor of Firecracker Productions’ festival-screened short A Good Bet
- Assistant Director of Spindly Productions’ zombie short End Times
- Screenwriter/assistant Director of Shadows of Reality short Tainted
- Writer/director of pilot video for Clwyd County Council’s Social Services Dept, Big Step
Work produced by others:
- Short play It All Depends On You staged by The Palace Theatre, Watford and by a local amateur company
- Guest lecturer at Northumberland College and writer of student-produced short video The Bystander